Monday, May 16, 2011

Kek Lok Si, Penang

It's not easy to be a good host. It's even harder when this is someone's virgin visit to the Pearl of the Orient. Trust me, you don't want to ruin it! Especially when that person was your best buddy and senior in Uni. And you certainly don't want to disappoint someone who has high expectation of the place prior to his arrival. Well, blame it on the over exaggerated information of Penang in the web. To get this post started, there are few key things that you'd need to know about us, the Penangite ;)

@ Yes, we are a bunch of kiasu people on the street and acted like Initial-D all the time, swaying our Kancil from left to right like nobody business.

@ Yes, we have street food like char koay teow almost every corner (they have a bigger fame in Penang than 7-11) but not all are good and most of the time, they are overly priced.

@ Yes, we are taught to bargain when buying things! We can easily get a shirt that originally price at RM 24 for RM 8. We call it the "survival skill".

A friend cum senior cum ex-housemate cum ex-admirer of mine came to Penang last week to drop me a visit before flying back to Philiphines, how sweet! Thus, I vowed to make this trip worthwhile and enjoyable for him!


The night before his arrival, I searched high & low for this "gear": Penang Travellers Map. I know, Penang is a small island but trust me, you need this pointers to help you uncover the hidden gem around town. I brought along a marker as well to highlight or cross out places that we intended to go.


With only little time to plan our schedule, I thought it's better to be safe than sorry. Therefore, I had everything that we might need / might not need in the backpack like umbrella, water tumblers, snacks, jacket, books, etc. But later, when I was about to leave the house, I couldn't carry the bag properly without slouching to the back so I dumped everything out & switched to a smaller sling bag.


Here he is, the main subject of this post, SJ. It has been years since we last met. Upon graduation, I came back to work (Just in case you don't know, saya budak UM) while he worked at a couple of places before flying to Philiphines to work last year. He was an engineering student while I was the selalu-merepek-punya-budak from the business faculty. We were housemates during my 2nd year and our friendship developed closer ever since!


This guy here is another friend of us. Let's just call him Uncle Y. Uncle Y and SJ were coursemates and buddies! For brunch that day, Uncle Y treated us to a meal at Dragon-I, Gurney. Food was so-so only considering the exorbitant bill that came later on.


This plate of seafood noodles costed 18 bucks and I finished like only a quarter. Edible but not delectable to the extent that making you ask for more, how sad! :(


Famous "xiao long bao" konon...nothing delightful with it...just ordinary "har kau" skin wrap with pork. Tiu!


First destination, we headed to Kek Lok Si. Random aunty's buttock was captured while testing out the camera. *Ahem* SJ took this picture actually *cough*cough*


We parked our cars near the market so that SJ'd have the opportunity to climb up the place and looked around. Unfortunately that means yours truly (who never exercise) would have to climb as well and boy, it took me forever and each step I took, I had got to gasp for air!

By the way, I took the lead just in case I tripped then Uncle Y & SJ can hold me from behind :)


Tortoises overlapping each other. Bountiful of them! Looking at them made me want to ride on one. However, such service was not provided wtf 


Part of the building. I think this place has a history of 4275694 years and it's amazing how they preserve it!

Good job kerajaan Pulau Pinang!

Good job Lim Guan Eng!

Now, build me a Disneyland here!


The author of this page who has the slightest idea what she was doing at the time this picture was taken.


Mini lake pagoda


Like "father", like "son".


Akhirnya sampai half way. Damn, I was smelling like dead octopus.

Statue of Buddha.




We took the cable car up to Guan Yin place instead of going on foot because it costs only 4 bucks for 2-way trip and you save so much energy that could be use for photo-taking & posing later on!


This statue is always under construction. Like never-ending one. Really! I remember the last time I was here, construction was already on-going.


Alright, I'm not supposed to merepek in front of this.


Left: 3-year old.

Right: 30-year old.


Both of us are 1985 baby bull & cow! But I look at least a decade younger than him right! Right?! (Note to SJ, everybody says so HAHAHAHAHAHA)


The 1984 rat "uncle", which I still couldn't understand why someone at this age would jump up and down at the sight of ice cream cart. And balloons. -.-


I don't remember the last time I step my foot to this place... 3-4 years ago maybe? They have added a lot more of cute cartoon statues, which is of cause like I said cute but I don't see the relevance of it. Here, I took a shot with 6 mini cartoon bricks, making it the 7 Little Dwarfs -.-'...


This was one of the things there that attracted me most. There was a stall selling colorful ribbons with printed words of blessing on it, like good health, great relationship, etc. With only a buck, you can get a ribbon of your wish and hang it on the big branch, like the one in the picture. It is similar to the concept of well-wishing tree in HK! We saw that some people even write their phone numbers on the ribbon! ^^


An information board placed right at the bottom of the bamboo branch to assist the visitors. Well, I don't guarantee that ALL your wishes will be granted but a dollar is worth to buy a hope, don't you think so? :p


Finally, it's time to get home for some rest! (I make the story short so please do drop by this place to see for yourself, k?)

By the way, the night before SJ's departure, we had a scrumptious meal of seafood at the small town of Juru. 

SJ, I hope you enjoy your trip and we look forward to seeing you at the end of this year! ^^

For more photo, add me in Facebook here.

(Anyone coming up North can give me a ring, I'll be most obliged to show you around ^^)


2 comments:

Nava Krishnan said...

Been here a couple of times before, nice place to visit.

p.u.t.e.r.i j.o.y.l.i.m said...

Yes, absolutely! :)